Frequently Asked Questions FAQ


FAQ Responsive

The testator is the person who is making the will.
The residue of your estate includes everything else that you own after all debts, funeral expenses and all legacies and tax has been paid. That is to say every thing you own when you pass away which has not been gifted elsewhere in your will. If you are going to leave the residue of your estate to your spouse or your partner you can also say what is to happen to the residue if your spouse or partner passes away before you for example if the residue of your estate is to pass then to your children.
Yes, provided it is proved that the original has been lost or accidentally destroyed.
The court will require an affidavit from the person who was present when the Will was executed. If there is no such person, it will require an affidavit from a person who can verify the authenticity of the testator’s signature.
A Trust on the other hand is an estate planning arrangement to prevent the necessary assets from being frozen or falling into the distribution process under the Will or the Distribution Act. They are complementary instruments and you may need both, depending on your specific circumstances.
Yes, you can but there will be additional cost involved. This is because on the death of the testator, the executor will be vested with the estate and for the properties that are to be dealt with by the trustees, the executor(s) is to transfer or deliver such properties to the trustees. It is also sometimes difficult to assess at what point in time executorship ends and when trusteeship begins. The trustee will also manage the estate in accordance with the instructions or powers given to him under the Will or according to the Trustee Act. As a safeguard, a Trustee cannot benefit by virtue of this office as all profits much be accounted for.
When the testator appoints an executor, the executor is firstly informed that he/she is appointed by the testator as executor of the estate. Only upon agreement as to the appointment will the executor carry out the functions of an executor upon the death of the testator. Upon the death of the testator, the executor will be informed by either responsible family members or friends for the testator would have chosen someone who he/she can trust and who is close to him/her, such as his wife, her husband, close friends, etc. who will have contact with the testator and his/her family. As for appointing a Trust Corporation as Executor or Trustee such as BHLB Trustee Berhad, it is advisable for the testator to inform his/her family members of such an appointment so that there will be no delay in the administration of the estate.
The testator should include in his Will a clause allowing his executors and trustees to continue his business so far as it is necessary to enable it to be sold as a going concern. The advantage of such a clause is that: it prevents a decrease in the value of the goodwill of the business; it enables the best possible price to be obtained for the business.
Under the law, there can be a minimum of one and a maximum of four executors. But if there are minor beneficiaries, at least two persons should be appointed.
No. One of the requirements of a Will is that it has to be in writing.However, a member of the armed forces engaged in actual military service or a mariner at sea can make what is known as a privileged Will. This type of Will does not have to be in writing. As such, video-taping may be acceptable
Yes. However, before you do so, you should consider whether it is practical. How long will he or she be in the country? In addition, he or she may not be well versed with the country’s system and would not have the time to come to Malaysia to perform the duties involved as an executor. This can cause unnecessary delays in the estate administration.
It will be recognised by the courts here if the Will was made in accordance with the manner required by the Wills Act in Malaysia, or the laws of the United States pertaining to Wills.
If it involves immovables, then it is advisable to write another Will applicable to that country. The country concerned must be identical governing laws, such as Singapore and England. The administration of the estate will be more efficient and faster. For example, if a Malaysian has a piece of immovable property in United Kingdom, and he only writes one Will, the Grant of Probate has to be extracted from the Malaysian Court and then be resealed in the court of United Kingdom. If there is another Will dealing solely on the property in United Kingdom, then that Will can be admitted for Probate in United Kingdom without having to wait for the extraction of the Grant of Probate from the Malaysian court. Another determinant for immovable properties overseas is whether the piece of property is jointly or wholly owned by the testator. If it is wholly owned, then there is no problem. However, if it is jointly owned under a joint tenancy, it cannot be willed away. If in doubt on the laws of other countries, it is advisable to seek professional legal assistance from those countries concerned.
If there is nothing in the Will to indicate otherwise, a beneficiary will have to pay off the loan before he or she can inherit the property. As such, it might be advisable to take up a mortgage insurance which will take care of the matter. Alternatively, it can be mentioned in the Will that the loan is to be paid from the testator’s estate.
The National Land Code provides that foreigners (not only Singapore citizens) can own (this includes inheriting) property in Malaysia only after prior approval from the state government has been obtained. The state government may grant the approval subject to such terms and conditions as may be specified by the state. The law on the imposition of levy has been changed a few times, following the prevailing economic situations. Presently, the levy has been removed and hence no levy will be imposed. However, there could be changes to the law in future, and all transfers shall be subject to the law governing such transfers at that time.
Yes, you can Will away your share in the house.
There is no restriction on writing a Will. However, if the Will is contested in court later, the court may find that suspicious circumstances exist and probate will not be granted unless the suspicion is removed. To quote a judge in a case, “It is not the law that in no circumstances can a solicitor or other person who has prepared a Will for a testator take a benefit under it. But that fact creates a suspicion that must be removed by the person propounding the Will (that is, the executor who applies for the grant of probate). The degree of suspicion will vary with the circumstances of the case. It may be slight and easily dispelled. It may, on the other hand, be so grave that it can hardly be removed.” As such, it may be advisable not to write the Will for a person when you are the beneficiary under it unless you are very sure that nobody will contest the Will, or that any suspicion that arises can be dispelled easily.
The court will recognise your latest Will as the valid one provided it was made in accordance with the requirements laid down by the law.
Firstly putting such a clause in your Will will not prevent a beneficiary from challenging your Will. However, it might deter them if they don’t have a very strong case.
Any amount given to your husband will not prevent him from challenging your Will. It is not necessary to give anything to your husband if you do not wish to. However you should state a reason in your Will as to why you are excluding your husband from your Will. Alternatively you can state in your Will that you are aware you are leaving nothing to your husband. This will reduce the possibility of him succeeding in challenging the validity of your Will by alleging that you were of unsound mind when writing your Will. (The same also applies if a man wishes to leave nothing for the wife.)
Divorce, unlike marriage, does not revoke a Will. Therefore, if you have divorced or are separated, you should consider rewriting your Will.
The former wife will still be able to inherit the RM10,000. The rule is that a Will speaks from its date as to the object (that is, the beneficiary) of a gift unless a contrary intention appears in it. This means that if a person answers the description at the date of the writing of the Will, the gift will pass to him or her even though at the date of the testator’s death, the person no longer answers to that description. However, a testator can override the rule by stating a contrary intention in the Will. For example, if he intends to give a gift to an employee, he can state that the gift will only take effect if the employee is still under his employment at the date of his death.
If it is your intention that all your children shall inherit your estate in equal shares, it is not necessary to rewrite your Will. You can just use the term “children” without naming each child. This means that any child that survives you will get a share in your estate. Whether he or she was born before or after you made your Will is immaterial.
In making a Will, you have the freedom to choose your beneficiaries, but there are certain categories of people who can apply under the Inheritance (Family Provision) Act 1971, Malaysia, for reasonable provision to be made for their maintenance if nothing, or an insufficient amount, is left to them under the Will. These people include: (a) A wife or husband; (b) A daughter who has not been married or who is, by reason of mental or physical disability, incapable of maintaining herself. (c) A son who is, by reason of mental or physical disability, incapable of maintaining himself. (d) An infant son (below the age of 21). If your adopted children fall under categories (b), (c) or (d), they have the right to apply to court to have your Will varied to make reasonable provision for them because the definition of a “son” or “daughter” under the Inheritance (Family Provision) Act 1971, Malaysia, includes legally adopted children. However, whether they will succeed or not depends on the merits of the case.
If it is your intention that all your children should inherit your estate in equal shares, it is not necessary to rewrite your Will. You can just use the term “children” without naming each child. This means that any child that survives will get a share in your estate. Whether he or she was born before or after you made your Will is immaterial.
You can write a Will now, but put in a clause stating that your imminent marriage will not revoke your Will. The name of the person whom you are marrying must also be stated in the Will.
Yes. This is because one of the characteristics of a Will is that it only takes effect upon death. As such, even though the assets do not belong to you at the time of writing your Will, they may belong to you at the time of your death, in which case you can pass them on to your beneficiaries.
According to the law, you will not be entitled to claim from your father’s estate as you are illegitimate, but you can claim from your natural mother’s estate provided she does not have any other legitimate children.
Since she never legally adopted you, she is not entitled to any of your assets unless you have written a Will making provisions for her. If you do not have a Will written, you are not married and do not have any next of kin, your assets will go to the Malaysian government.
Yes! You can appoint guardians for your young children in a Will. As for payment to the guardians, special instructions can be drafted in your Will to pay them periodic payments only if they act.
In making a Will, you have the freedom to choose your beneficiaries, but there are certain categories of people who can apply under the Inheritance (Family Provision) Act 1971 for reasonable provision to be made for their maintenance, if nothing, or an insufficient amount, is left to them under the Will. These people include: 1.A wife or husband 2.A daughter who has not been married or who is, by reason of mental or physical disability, incapable of maintaining herself. 3.A son who is, by reason of mental of physical disability, incapable of maintaining himself. 4.An infant son (below the age of 21) If your adopted children fall under categories (b), (c) or (d), they have the right to apply to court to have your Will varied to make reasonable provision for them because the definition of a “son” or “daughter” under the Inheritance (Family Provision) Act 1971, includes legally adopted children. However, whether they will succeed or not depends on the merits of the case.
A person is legally capable of holding property upon attaining the age of 18. If you want your children to inherit later then it should be expressly stated in your Will the age which they should inherit.
Yes. You can. As the Will is an expression of your intentions and wishes, you can include special clauses and instructions to your loved ones which need not relate to money. By including such clauses, you have made your Will very special and personal for which your loved ones will never forget your special words to them.
Although from the financial planning point of view that might not be the best approach, if that is really your wish, it has to be clearly and expressly stated in your Will.
You may have more assets accumulated years later and you would need a Will to distribute them, as a Will is only effective upon death. You may also create capital wealth by various investments such as unit trust. However, if you have a lot of liabilities in your business, then it would be wise to create a trust to maintain those assets against creditors, claims and from affecting yourself and your family financially.
The first issue that will arise is what will happen to your shares in the company when you pass away. Who are going to benefit and how are you going to effect the transfer of those shares? Secondly, if it is not purely a holding company you should consider the risk of losing everything should the business fail and this defeat the purpose of limited liability. Thirdly, there will be property gains tax upon disposal of any immovable property irrespective of how long it was acquired. Last but not least companies will need to submit their annual reports and audited accounts every year and these will be considered public documents. As such, there will be a lack of confidentiality.
Ideally, your will should deal with all your assets, whether specifically or collectively. You may consider the following: Real property: land and buildings, residential, commercial, industrial or agricultural properties; Personal property: cash, bank balances, shares, transferrable memberships, vehicles, movable furniture, clothing, jewellery, books, camera equipment, computer equipment, etc.; Intellectual property: copyrights, patents, designs; Trust property: property which is being held by a trustee on trust for your benefit; Future benefits: assets which you expect to receive in the future, including an inheritance.
In this case, get a basic Will done first. With this Will, you have immediately effected a protection plan. Then, you can decide on the proper detailed distribution and contact a Professional Will-Writer to rewrite your Will when you have prepared the details of your final plan.
No. The private limited company is a separate legal entity and is the true owner of the piece of land. You only own it indirectly through the shareholdings in the company and as such you cannot will it away. However, you can instead will away your shares in the Company.
No. Putting the condition in the Will cannot be legally effective because the Will does not bind the company whose shares are being held as it is a separate legal entity. Any restriction on the transfer of shares has to be mentioned in the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the company concerned.
You may like the way the Act distribute your assets but to ensure that your loved ones receive your assets sooner than later, a Will can help. Moreover, with a Will, you can avoid the need for sureties and appointment of a suitable administrator, Also, your young children’s welfare can also be looked after when you exercise your right to appoint a guardian for them in you Will.
i)If one has a Will, the High Court will have the power to issue a Grant Of Probate. (In Sarawak this power is vested in the Probate Officer of various districts). ii)If a deceased’s gross estate (i.e. without deduction for debts and liabilities) exceeds RM600,000.00 and he/she dies without a Will, the family will have to apply to the High Court for Letters of Administration. If a deceased’s assets gross estate does not exceeds RM600,000.00 and must also consist of immovable, the power to make an order on the administration of the estate is vested in the District Land Administrator under s.3 Small Estate (Distribution) Act 1955. iii. Amanah Raya Berhad designated as the Public Trustee the Public Trust Corporation Act 1995 can administer the estate of a person which consist wholly movables and not exceeding RM600,000.00. This is stated under s.17 Public Trust Corporation Act 1995.
A Power of Attorney normally allows the person whom the power is granted (the “donee”) to deal with the property of the donor e.g. selling, leasing or charging it or to enter into other legal transaction on behalf of the donor. A Power of Attorney will be revoked upon the death of either the donor or donee and as such it cannot be used like a Will to effect transfer of your assets to your family upon your death.
Generally, petition for the Grant of Probate can be made as soon as the testator dies. However, where there is a delay of three years or more from the time the testator died, the executor will have to give reasons to the court for the delay in applying for Probate.
Before the beneficiaries can appoint a Personal Representative known as an Administrator in place of the unwilling Executor, the Executor must firstly renounce his right to the executorship. One this is done, the Administrator can apply for Letter of Administration with Will Annexed in the Malaysian High Court when the value of the estate is more than RM600,000.00. However, if the estate is valued at RM600,000.00 or less if it consist of wholly movables, the Amanah Raya Berhad (Public Trustee) under Section 17, Public Trust Corporation Act 1995, Malaysia, can have jurisdiction to administer the estate. If the estate is more than RM600,000.00 consisting of movables and immovables or wholly immovables, the High Court will have jurisdiction. If the executor refuses to renounce or carry out the duties of an executor, the beneficiaries can apply to the High Court for Citation. Citation is used to force the executor to decide whether he renounces or accepts the appointment and to carry out the duties of an executor. The executor must appear within eight (8) days from the date of Citation. If he does not appear, then he is deemed to have renounced the appointment.
The speed of Probate being granted depends largely on the executor and the schedule of the court. The executors of one of belated client was able to obtain the Grant of Probate within less than 2 months from time of his death. Generally, it may take up 6 months to a year or more before the executor can distribute to the beneficiaries.
There is no restriction in the Wills Act 1959 to appoint a beneficiary as an executor in your Will. In fact if a person is leaving everything to a single person and the beneficiary concerned is of majority age and can manage the money well, it is recommended that the person be appointed as the sole executor.
Insurance Policy Under s.164 (2) of the Insurance Act 1966 a nomination in an insurance policy cannot be revoked by a Will. If the nominee is the spouse, a child or a parent under s.166 Insurance Act 1996 (provided there is no spouse or child living at the time of nomination) then the nominee will enjoy the insurance money absolutely. However if the nominee is other than those mentioned above, under s.167 Insurance Act 1996 the nominee shall be the executor of the moneys and has a duty to distribute the insurance money according to the Will of the policyholder or if there is no Will according to the Distribution Act 1958 (as amended in 1997). EPF Regulation 7(1) of the Employees Provident Fund Regulations 1991 states that a nomination shall not be revoked by a Will.. EMPLOYEES’ PROVIDENT FUND (EPF) NOMINEES TO REMAIN
In this case, the investments will be lumped into your estate and does not go back into your EPF account. As such it will be distributed according to the Distribution Act 1958 (as amended in 1997) if there is no Will or follow your Will if you have made a Will. Therefore to ensure the rightful nominees receive these investments, a Will must be written to include an instruction naming beneficiaries to these investments.
Yes, it is true if you do not have a Will as the Insurance Act 1996 states that any person other than spouse, children and parent (if single) will only receive the money in the capacity of an executor and must pass the money back to the deceased estate (or beneficiaries i.e. wife and children in this case). If your parents are alive they are entitled to a quarter of the money. Therefore, if you want her to receive this money, you can either assign the policy to her or write a Will in which you name her as the beneficiary to this particular policy.
No. By virtue of Section 23 of the Civil Law Act 1956, Malaysia or Section 166 of the Insurance Act 1996, Malaysia, if the insured has nominated the spouse and/or children as beneficiary or beneficiaries, a trust will be created. The sum assured no longer forms part of the assured’s estate. As such, the assured cannot will it away. The advantages of putting the sum assured under trust is that creditors can have no claim against it.
No. Under the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) regulations, a Will cannot revoke an earlier nomination. To revoke the earlier nomination, you have to use the prescribed form provided by the EPF Board.
All our Professional Will-Writers are provided with a comprehensive training programme on Will Law covering the legal aspects of Will writing and supported by our team of in-house legal advisors. All Wills are professionally drafted and checked by our in-house legal advisors.
It all depends on each financial planner. Based on the latest (2002) trend in the financial services industry where everyone are aiming to become a total financial planner, then Will-writing is necessary. This is because with Will-writing, you then become a complete financial planner, i.e. you can provide services wealth protection, wealth accumulation and finally wealth distribution through Will-writing. Moreover, Will-writing has become the no. 1 service because writing a Will can open the door to the other financial services.
Yes. We will offer 20% discount for our existing customers if they were to rewrite their Will. Another alternative is to subscribe to our Premier Lifetime Custody where you will enjoy 70% discount for the first rewrite. For subsequent rewrites, you will enjoy 50% discount for unlimited number of times. In addition to these benefits, we also offer free Personal Accident Insurance of RM20,000 to our customer who subscribe to this service until the age of 65.
One of the characteristics of a Will is that it can always be revoked before the testator dies. Section 2 of the Wills Act 1959 defines, in short, a Will is only a declaration and hence do allow for changes because the effect will only take place upon death. Whereas Section 12 and Section 14 of the Wills Act 1959 allows the Will to be revoked due to marriage or destruction with the intention to revoke or a later valid Will allow a testator keep changing his/her Will during his/her lifetime. In addition, if a non-Muslim professes the religion of Islam then the Will written will no longer be under the ambit of the Wills Act 1959.
If you have written yours, is it within the ambit of various laws, such as guardianship, family inheritance, Wills and Trust Act? Your Will may be invalid if it is improperly written and as a result may cause hardship to your family. You may save some money now but it will cost your family more to repair the damage later.
A Will can be written in any languages. However, where the Will is not in English a translation certified by a court interpreter or a translation verified by the affidavit of a person qualified to translate must be annexed to the application for grant of probate.
Yes, provided it is proven that the original has been lost or accidentally destroyed.
It is advisable to write a new Will if the alterations are substantial. If it is a minor alteration – a typing error, for example – you can alter your Will and sign beside the alteration in the presence of the same witnesses. After that, the witnesses will also be required to sign beside the alteration in order for it to be effective.
Yes, you can but there are some pitfalls. You may not be able to express your wishes clearly and ensure that it is legally effective. A professionally written Will will be able to cater to your specific needs. Saving some money now does not mean that the Will is valid and it may give your family and loved ones more heartache in future.
Yes, you can if you are well versed with the Wills Act. Otherwise, if it is a basic sample, then the Will may not be truly reflective of your wishes. Moreover, if there are no proper professional guidance and review then certain clauses may not be written in the manner that could prevent a wrong interpretation. Hence it may end up with more hassles and would not fulfill your wishes. Therefore it is still recommended that you seek the services of a Professional Will-writer so that your whole estate of thousands and millions can be totally protected.
The court will recognise your latest Will as the valid one provided it was made in accordance with the requirements laid down by the Malaysian Law.
Yes, you can but there are disadvantages in having a Joint Will (JW). Firstly, since it is the Will of two persons in one document, there is always a loss of confidentiality and privacy when the JW is used to apply Probate. While applying for Probate the JW will be a public document, which means it will be exposed to the public. If the other party values privacy and confidentiality this is not the way to go. Secondly, if the JW is lost, both parties need to rewrite their Wills. Finally, if one party wants to alter his/her Will in the JW, there may be a need to rewrite a new JW by both parties. This is inconvenient and can be time consuming. So, you are recommended to have individual Wills instead, which will ensure your confidentiality and privacy, not to mention convenience to you when you decide to rewrite. We strongly discourage you to have this type of Will written. There will be no Will-writing fee deduction if a JW is written and the custody fee is charged according to the rates of two testators, even though the JW is in one document.
Writing a Will is only half the story. The other half is keeping the Will in a secure place. An unprotected Wills as good as having no Will. Most people would keep it in a bank safe deposit box. But it is not a good idea when it comes to a Will. Simply because when the account holders is no longer around, the deposit box and everything in it will be frozen. At Rockwills, we provide Professional custody service to our customer that can last a lifetime. For further details, you can contact our Professional Will-Writer.
You can keep your Will in the safe but when a person passes away, all assets including safe deposit box will be frozen even if it is in joint names. Moreover, there is the problem of loss of privacy and confidentiality. This is because of the joint account holder will have access to the Will.
You can always appoint a Trust Corporation to solve the problem. If your children are too young to be appointed as trustee and executor, you can insert a provision that if they are of age, then they will be appointed; failing which a Trust Corporation can be appointed instead. The benefits of appointing a Trust Corporation, e.g. BHLB Trustee, they are impartial, professional and have perpetual existence.
You may want to will them to any charity organisation or even to an old folk’s home of your choice.
Being superstitious will only cause difficulties for your family. Writing a Will have nothing to do with death. It is about ensuring the distribution of your wealth to your loved ones as there are many benefits of having a Will. In Hong Kong, which is one of the most superstitious society, many people have also written their Wills which they termed as ‘a peace book’ to give the person a peace of mind. This is a planning tool where you expressed your love and care to the family by ensuring everything is done according to your wishes. Hence with less hassles and a proper back up plan, you will definitely enjoy peace of mind.
There is no legal requirement for a Will to be stamped. Sealing a Will only serves the purpose of confidentiality.
A testamentary trust is a trust that is specified by a person in his will. It is a trust which only comes into effect upon the death of that person. The most common usage of a testamentary trust are as follows: To hold residential property so that dependents can live in the house until they are financial independent or until their death. This is to prevent the property from being sold prematurely. The property can be sold and proceeds given to the beneficiaries when the trust ends. Instead of giving a lump sum to beneficiaries, a testamentary trust can be used to give them a monthly allowance over a period of time. This can be used where beneficiaries are too immature to responsibly handle a lump sum benefit. A testamentary trust can be used to motivate a beneficiary with payments being made upon the condition that the beneficiary achieves certain goals, e.g. obtaining a university degree. Leaving assets to children will have the effect of impliedly creating a testamentary trust where your trustee will hold the assets on trust until each child attains the age of majority.
A “living trust” (also called an “inter vivos” trust) takes effect upon creation whereas a testamentary trust only takes effect at death. A living trust does not have to go through the probate court. However, the stamp duty involved in transferring real property to a living trust (at 3%) his higher than transferring it to a testamentary trust (at RM10).
A will may be contested on the grounds that the contents have been altered, that your signature is forged, or that the execution was not properly witnessed. It may also be alleged that you were of unsound mind or under undue influence at the time you made your will. Ambiguity or important omissions in your will encourages dispute. If your intention is to exclude your spouse or any one of your children from your will, it is advisable to do so expressly. Giving a justifiable reason for the exclusion will reduce the chances of a successful contest. If you are making your will under circumstances where the soundness of your mind may later be called into question, it is advisable to have your doctor examine you and certify that you still of sound mind. If there is a challenge, your doctor may be required to testify accordingly.
The courts have the power under the Inheritance (Family Provision) Act 1971 to make reasonable provisions for (1) your spouse, (2) a daughter who has not been married, (3) an infant son, or (4) a child who is incapable of maintaining him or herself due to some mental or physical disability, provided that in the court’s opinion your estate does not make reasonable provision for the maintenance of that dependant. When deciding such an application, the court will have regard to all circumstances including size of the estate, the interest of the named beneficiaries, the assets and income of the dependant and the conduct of the dependant to the deceased.
No. The estate of any person who dies on or after 1 November 1991 will not be subject to any estate duty in Malaysia.
The decision whether to rewrite your will depends on the change in your circumstances and whether such change is adequately provided for in your will. You may consider rewriting your will in any of the following circumstances: Marriage, separation, divorce or remarriage; Birth or adoption of a child; Death of a family member or other beneficiary of your estate; When you want to change your beneficiaries or the proportion of distribution; When your appointed executor, trustee or guardian dies or is unable to act as such; When you decide to name someone else as your executor, trustee or guardian; When the size of your estate changes significantly; When there are changes probate or tax laws that could affect your estate.
To make a valid will, you must: Be at least 18 years old; Be of sound mind; Have your will in writing; Have signed your will; Have your signing witnessed by at least 2 witnesses who will then sign in your presence and in the presence of each other.
No, a beneficiary will not be eligible to receive any benefit from the estate if he/she or his/her spouse signs as a witness to the will.
Once executed, your will is valid until it is replaced by a new will, revoked in writing or destroyed intentionally. Your will will automatically be revoked if you marry or remarry, or convert to Islam.
Translate »